Registrations of personal status:
(1) Birth Registration
(2) Registration of Parentage
(3) Adoption and Adoption Termination Registration
(4) Marriage and Divorce Registration
(5) Registration of legal Guardianship
(6) Assistance Registration
(7) Registration of exercising responsibility of the rights and obligations for minor children
(8) Registration of Death and Presumption of Death
(9) Registration of Indigenous status and tribe group
2. Initial Household Registrations
3. Registrations of Movement:
(1) Moving-out Registration
(2) Moving-in Registration
(3) Address Alteration Registration
4. Household Separation (Combination) Registration
5. Birth Place Registration
6. Registration according to other laws
Categories of Registrations
Any nationals under 12 years of age born in the ROC, shall be subject to Birth Registration; the same applies to abandoned or helpless children who have not yet applied for household registration.
Any acknowledgement of parentage shall be subject to Registration of Parentage.
Any adoption shall be subject to Adoption Registration.
Any termination of adoption shall be subject to Adoption Termination Registration.
- For the application for household registration, the place of birth shall be the province (municipality) or the county (city) where the national was born.
- For an abandoned and helpless child whose birthplace is unknown, the place of birth shall be the place where he/she was found.
- For a child who was born on a ship or an airplane so that the birthplace cannot be defined, the place of birth shall be the place of registration for such ship or airplane, ROC nationality or port of registry.
- If the person concerned was placed and educated at welfare institutes for children and youth, and the birthplace is unknown, the place of birth shall be the place where such institute is located.
- If a child was born in a foreign country or area, the place of birth shall be the country or area to which the birthplace where he/she was born belongs.
- As stipulated in subparagraph 5, if the birthplace is unknown, the place of birth shall be the place where he/she resides.
Applications for Registration
The applicant for Birth Registration shall be the father, mother, grandfather, grandmother, head of the household, cohabitant or foster parent.
For the abandoned or helpless child, the applicant of Birth Registration mentioned in the preceding paragraph may be the children’s welfare organization.
The applicant for Registration of Parentage shall be the recognizer. In case the recognizer does not make the application, the recognized one shall be the applicant.
The applicant of Adoption Registration shall be the adopter or the adoptee.
The applicant of Adoption Termination Registration shall be the adopter or the adoptee.
In case the applicant cannot make application personally, he/she shall entrust some other person with a Letter of Proxy to make such application.
Except where there are due reasons which are approved by the household registration office, the provision set forth in the previous paragraph does not apply to the Registrations of Parentage, Adoption Termination, Marriage or the Divorce agreed by both parties concerned.
The applications for household registrations should be made within 30 days after the cases concerned occur or are ascertained; however, Birth Registration must be made within 60 days.
The household registration office should still accept overdue applications.
When the household registration office finds overdue applications that are not made within the statutory time limit, it.